Sunday, November 11, 2012

Standing in My Stirrups

For one reason or another I haven't had a riding lesson for several weeks. Today's lesson was a milestone for me for many reasons; these reasons may not seem like a big deal to those younger and fitter than me. However, for me, they signified much progress in my journey to lose weight and become more fit.

This morning was cold and clear with a sprinkle of new snow on the ground. We had about 6 inches on the valley floor the day before. I wasn't surprised to find the barnyard muddy and several of the stalls with huge puddles in them. A thin layer of ice floated at the top of most of the water buckets. I was grateful for my Walmart mucking boots and warm work gloves. I come to the barn for fun and relaxation--I don't have to do this for a living. It made me think of all those over the last century and a half who have worked the land  and raised farm animals without all the conveniences we have.

After barn chores were done, Tasha had me saddle up Bitsy. I was able to not only carry the saddle but put it up on Bitsy. I could feel strength in my arms I haven't had for a long time. I still had to use the steps, but swinging myself in the saddle was easier; my body felt lighter. I have only lost about 5 pounds in the last two months, so my guess is that I am more fit and able to lift myself up more easily. All this just from doing yoga and walking.

I focused on just walking Bitsy for a time and practicing turns. Then came the next surprise. Tasha told me to stand in my stirrups. The last time she asked me, it hurt to do it. My muscles burned. This time, I stood up in my stirrups and stayed there while Bitsy walked around the entire arena. Tasha was pleased and frankly, I was thrilled. It didn't hurt at all and I could feel the strength in my core, back, and thighs.

In addition to feeling stronger and more flexible, I experienced two milestones in riding and communication with the horse. At my last lesson, Tasha explained and demonstrated how to nudge a horse to move to the outside of the arena. (Bitsy is smart--she knows that by moving on the inside it's a shorter distance.) Today I finally got the knack of it, by using slight pressure in my thighs and calves to nudge Bitsy to the outside. It made for a nicer ride.

I didn't think I'd be up for  trot, but Tasha coaxed me to try it. I was almost in rhythm, but not quite. Tasha advised me not to rise up so high while posting. I took her advice and did a gentler movement--the rhythm of posting and getting on the correct diagonal finally clicked! Rising up too high in the saddle was making me get off a beat, if that makes sense. I spent more time trotting and posting today than I have ever before--I was thrilled.

I don't think I stopped smiling once after that!

Near the end of my lesson my right knee and both ankles were starting to hurt. Tasha showed me some exercises to try to strengthen ankles and knees. I've had issues with my ankles all my life. In my late 20s I did a lot of cross-country skiing in the back country. I had to work with a personal trainer and special weights to get my ankles strengthened. I definitely have the same issue now on top of being older.

I'm just amazed at the benefits I've gotten already from just doing yoga and leisurely walking.

I was definitely a sight after barn chores and lessons-- my short hair was all messed up and skeewumpus; my clothes were stained with the slime of hay, my boots covered with poop and mud. But I suspect my cheeks were rosy and I had a big grin. I will never be young again; but there's hope I just may age well, be healthy and be able to do some of the things I love again.

Yup, I don't need to throw a javelin from the back of a horse--I'm just thrilled to be standing in my stirrups . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment