Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Halloween Birthday--Three Generations of Mothers

My mother was born on Halloween, seventy-eight years ago. I am blessed to still have her in my life--she has looked after herself and strives to stay healthy and fit. I'm not going to divulge personal things here--but suffice it to say that my mother steered our family through a very tough time when we were young. She came out of it with a peaceful and positive spirit. My brothers and sisters and I came through it knowing she loved us and always would.

I know people who don't have that--it makes me value my mother and her special gifts even more. Mom has also became a dear freind to me in my adulthood. Her advice and support has carried me through many things. Mom is a very talented musician; her love is part of the background music of my life.

My mother in turn had a very caring and loving mother. I was in my early 40s when Grandpa died. She and my grandfather were like a second set of parents in some ways. When you spent the day with them, they made you feel as though you were the only child on earth. I have so many memories of going fishing, eating Christmas dinner at their house, standing next to Grandpa during mass, calling them almost every Sunday when I was away at college. One of my most cherished memories is when I was older, in my 20s, I'd try to stay overnight with Grandma and Grandpa for old times's sake. We'd sit in the kitchen in a contented silence--I read my scriptures; Grandpa silently went through his rosary, and Grandma would crochet or knit. It was a silence of utter acceptance and contentment--it must be what heaven feels like.

I remember often going with my grandmother to my great-grandmother's house and the great aunts' house--Grandma would clean house and help them with whatever they needed. Grandma, too, like my mother, served her family with great love and loyalty. A few years ago on our family website, my sister Erin asked us and our cousins, of all who had passed on, who did we miss the most? All of us, every single one of us, said we missed Grandma and Grandpa the most.

Grandma's mother, my great-grandma, was a sweet lady. She made lovely mints that were always to be found on a sideboard. Her kitchen always smelled nice with the yeasty scent of homemade rolls. My best memory of her is sitting on her porch swing, chatting with her. She, too, had the gift of making you feel as though you were the only child on earth.

I come from an amazing web of loving women. I watch my sisters and my sisters-in-law with their children. This web will continue to grow. I hope I have and will foster the tradition for future generations.

Thank you, Mom, for all you've given me. Now, off to do my yoga (how's your yoga going?)

No comments:

Post a Comment