Thursday, October 4, 2012

Throwing a Javelin on Horseback: The Language of Horses and Aging

I had my third riding lesson today; I realized I am learning a new language. Perhaps even two new languages. First, I'm learning to communicate with a horse, to send clear signals about what I want the horse to do. Second, I'm learning how to read my aging body properly. Let me explain briefly what I mean by this.

The Language of Aging

It's pretty clear to most of us that as we age, we won't be as fast, as strong, as sturdy as we once were. When I was in my late 20s, I could cross-country ski in the back country for hours and not feel a thing the next day. Fast forward to today--I'm 52, struggling to lose weight and get into shape. I really have to warm up to activity slowly.

This morning down at the barn, I had to empty out nearly all the water buckets. I had to heave them from side to side to get them to turn over, with a "ho-ya!" exclamation. I'm sure I'm slower than the teenage girls who do most of the feedings during the week. Tasha is 25 and is certainly faster than I am--but bless her for being patient with me. I am also certain it takes me longer to muck stalls than a younger person--but I seem to still have mental endurance that pushes me.

Once the barn chores were done, Tasha gave me a one-hour riding lesson. During this lesson I stopped every so often to take my feet out of the stirrups and stretch. Later in the afternoon my husband and I drove up to Sundance and walked up a trail aways. We didn't find the one we wanted--and I knew even if we found the trail I could only do so much--no way was I going to walk up the mountain again.

I hope next year I can do some really good hikes; I also hope I might be jogging and doing some sort of weightlifting by then. I have to listen carefully to my body though--particularly that right knee that has some arthritis in it and my lower back. It's a new dialog between my mind and my aging body. It is certainly a different conversation than when I was 29 and hired a personal trainer to help me strengthen my ankles for back-country skiing; it is a different conversation yet again from when I was in my 30s, listening to my body for signs of fertility, then pregnancy. This season of my life feels like early autumn with bursts of intense color on the side of the mountain. I hope it will be a long, crisp autumn.

The Language of Horse and Rider

Today I choose to concentrate on riding posture, walking, turning, and one-rein stops with Bitsy. I had one small triumph today--I was able to mount the horse without using the steps. Tasha held on to the saddle for me, but I got up on my own power. This also means I'm becoming a bit more flexible.

Tasha set up poles around the arena and I practiced turns around them. The one-rein stop wasn't going too well at first. Tasha pointed out that while I was moving my legs and feet away from the horse's body to indicate a stop, I was bending my legs up behind me  and the toes of my boots were touching Bitsy. Being an obedient horse, she interpreted this to mean I wanted her to keep going!

So I had think through what I was doing, motion by motion. Tasha talked to me about what different gestures and touches, the lean of a leg or foot, can mean to a horse. If you say "whoa" to Bitsy, she calmly comes to a stop. If you say "whoa" to Cash, the resident stallion of the barn, he stops with such force it could send you flying.

Not only must I learn the standard signals to give to a horse, but I will also need to learn how each horse will behave and respond. To demonstrate some commands to me, Tasha got up on Bitsy. As she showed me different things, I wondered, for how many centuries have we used some of these commands? Some could literally be at least 2,000 years old! Athenian historian and soldier Xenophon (c. 430 – 354 BC) wrote two treatises on the selection, care and training of horses and on the duties of a cavalry commander.

Now I don't have to worry about throwing a javelin from horseback--but I do have to worry about safety and communication with the horse. I envy people who have a chance to spend every day with one horse and really get to know it. I am convinced that these animals, if they spend enough time with us, also learn to read us. Recently, my daughter was feeling very sad and upset about a few things. The big bay she loves, Souix, nuzzled her gently in the crook of her neck. He did this repeatedly until she calmed down.

I have to give that horse some credit. My nickname for him is the "Big Beastie" because he can be SUCH a stinker. He showed an innate emotional intelligence with Niamh in that moment; he seemed to know exactly what she needed. He was like a big old dog. It was sweet--but always in the back of my mind and Niamh's is the fact this is a huge animal with a mind of his own.

I've a lot to learn about horses from observation and experience. And you know--I still have a lot to learn about myself as well. I'm aging as my kids grow from teens into adults. They are finding out more about themselves and their capabilities. I still am at my age. I hope this learning thing is eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment