Sunday, September 2, 2012

Down at the Barn

I'm new to blogging. Being a writer, I suppose starting a blog is an innate thing to do. Ever since I made a goal to (1) lose weight and get off most of my middle-age medications and (2) take riding lessons, I've wanted to blog about my attempts. I'm not sure where this is going to lead, but I sense that both activities have a spiritual impetus to them.

I'm 52--I've learned the hard way that my spirit still thinks I can do the things I did at 30--telemark in the back country, hike for hours . . I can't anymore. I don't know if I ever again. I miss the feeling of being healthy. I have become overweight to the point that some old friends don't recognize me when they seem me after years of no physical contact. I have a back problem and the start of arthritis in one knee that I have to be careful with.

This is not how I planned to age. My mother and her parents aged beautifully. In his 80s, my grandpa was climbing ladders, doing yard work, playing in a band that visited nursing homes and senior citizen centers. Grandma went to exercise class until she turned 90 I believe. My mom is a healthy 78--she's slim, fit, exercises, and eats right. That is how I want to age.

Once when cross-country skiing in the Uintahs, my friends and I met two women who looked to be in their late 40s or early 50s. They were both slim, and had long gray hair braided back. They were energetic, youthful. I thought to myself, "That's how I want to be."

I don't know if I can cross-county ski again--my knees may too shot after years of being overweight. Same goes for hiking--I am going to have to experiment with these activities after I'm in better shape and weigh less. I'd like to do physical activities with both my teenagers. Conor likes x-country skiing and racquetball. Niamh likes to run, dance, and ride horses.

For now, I'm walking a mile that is enclosed where I work--I do this twice a week. On other days I try to walk my dogs or do yard work. One day a week I do barn chores at the stable where my daughter rides. In exchange, I get a free riding lesson from Tasha  and my daughter, Niamh, gets to ride the big bay gelding she's lost her heart too.

 My mom challenged me to yoga--the DVD arrived yesterday and so we'll be taking it up together 1500 miles apart. I love my mother--she's still taking care of me even now.  She inspires me.

I have also begun a tea regimen developed by Dr. Oz and an herbalist. It involves pu erh tea (black tea), white tea (made from the buds of the tea plant), dandelion root tea, and bilberry tea. In addition, I began journeling what I eat most every day online at Prevention.com. It helps me track my carbs as I am pre-diabetic. So far I have lost 14 pounds.

Did I also mention I have high cholesterol? Good heavens, I will be dead soon if I don't get a handle on all this. I have so much to live for--I have two great kids in high school, I have a very fulfilling job, I want to live to see my grand kids and I am writing my first novel. (Yes, I know, it's about time!)

Some may think I'm nuts for wanting to spend my Sunday mornings down at "the barn" as the stables where my daughter rides is called. The barn is a little oasis in the middle of Lindon, Utah. It's right off  busy State Street--the driveway goes way back. There's a field of alfalfa in front of the indoor arena and stalls. Behind the barn/arena is a large pasture surrounded by tall trees on two sides. Mares and their foals and any yearlings get to graze and play out in this pasture.

Niamh and I  help Tasha feed and water the horses.  We muck stalls when needed as well. Today we watched three flocks of geese, one after another, fly in low over State Street, over the alfalfa field, and the pasture behind the barn. I assume the flocks headed back out to the lake--I could be wrong. I wonder how long geese practice their formations before they embark on their migration south for the winter?

We've seen hawks circling the pasture on other days. Tasha has seen a huge owl--I'd like to see that. During the summer, the barn is full of swallows chittering, dipping and flying. I wonder if they go to Mexico for the winter as that one child's book describes?

Helping with barn chores gives me a chance to be close to the horses. I never took up barn chores with the idea that I'd get free lessons--Tasha graciously offered them to me after I showed up consistently. I began going with Niamh to help her do barn chores in exchange for extra riding time on Sioux. This is in addition to her paid lesson, which is once a week. I'd love to lease or buy a horse for her--but it's not possible at the moment.

A few times when I've mucked stalls, I've felt warm, grassy breath on my neck. I turn around to find a horse nudging me, wanting attention. They love having the top of their foreheads scratched--this makes them relax. Some even give you a horse hug--they'll arch their necks around you. I love that. You have to be careful too-they might decide to nip you. It's their way of grooming if I remember right. One evening I watched Shauna, the owner of the stable and my daughter's instructor, relax an anxious horse by rubbing his ears a certain way. It was amazing to watch.

When I fill up the water buckets with fresh water, some of the horses like to play in the water. Bitsy, the chestnut mare, a tall pony, that I ride, likes to poke her nose in the stream from the hose. Another horse dips his nose into the water bucket, stirring the water in the same direction the hose is sending it! Others act terribly annoyed and pace to the back of their stall. Each one is so individual.

Today was my second lesson. I managed to get my leg into the stirrup this time, but still couldn't pull myself all the way up. I had to use the steps again. This will change, I know--I'm pacing myself. Bitsy is such a calm, patient horse. I informed her before I got on that I'd lost more weight this week just for her. I put the blanket on, and Tasha hoisted the saddle up. She reviewed the names of the parts of the girth:  the off-billet, the cinch, and the latigo. (http://www.western-saddle-guide.com/saddle-parts.html). I attached the cinch and knotted it up, remembering to leave enough room between the horse and the strap for my fingers. Then Tasha had me lead Bitsy around the arena to loosen her up and see if any adjustments needed to be made to the cinch. I don't know how to adjust the stirrups yet.

Tasha had me try to ease the bridle on and get the bit into Bitsy's mouth. I almost got it, but Tasha had to show me the finer points again. Today, Tasha taught me the one-rein emergency stop and how to post and trot. I got the posting rhythm on my first try--on my second try I simply could not get on the correct diagonal (yea, I know what that means now!). Tasha is very patient and thorough.

It seems the key to much of riding is keeping your pelvis tilted in to support your back and give you correct posture. At the same time, you have to learn to relax and get into the horse's rhythm.

I don't know how far I'll take riding lessons--much depends on Tasha's time and availability. I'm quite willing to work in exchange for them. I enjoy learning how to communicate with a horse in this manner. For four years I've watched Niamh become a masterful rider. When she was a small 4th grader sailing over jumps on 1,000 pound-plus creatures, my heart would go sailing over with her. I enjoy having this bond with her--it's something the two of us can share and I like that.

Maybe when I live with her when I'm an old lady, I can earn my keep by mucking stalls.

Tonight Niamh and I were conjecturing what horses dream about at night. We know our dogs dream--they bark and whine in their sleep. Does Sioux, Niamh's big bay gelding, dream of her feeding him sweet apples, or one strand of hay at a time, which he seems to love? Does he dream about running with deer on mountain trails (his owner Jerson likes to take him trail riding).

I know what I dream about--being 60 pounds lighter and healthier, being in shape so I can do things without being sore or worn out. I'd like to be free of medications if I can. Who knows what I'll be able to do in a year. That's the fun mystery.


No comments:

Post a Comment