Sunday, September 16, 2012

On a Journey with my Daughter

My fourteen-year-old daughter joined her high school's color guard this fall. In August, she survived almost two weeks of band camp, nine hours a day, with an hour lunch for break. Every week, she has three afternoons of practice after school; on top of this she has a gym class, a modern dance class (at school), has an English jumping lesson once a week and rides another day of the week after she does barn chores. My daughter has always been at a good weight and she's a beautiful girl. Yes, I'm her mother, deal with it--but others will tell you she's very pretty as well. :-)

She's noticed after a month of doing all this that she's starting to get really toned up and finds it easier and easier to stretch, dance, and march for hours. In addition, all that dance exercise has made her stronger for her English jumping class. Anyone who has ridden in an English saddle knows what a workout that type of riding is for your butt, thighs, and calves. My daughter is more confident, "more comfortable in her skin," it seems. She really has become even more radiant with all this exercise.

She's been very supportive and encouraging of my efforts to lose weight and to take up riding lessons. She'll give me advice on how to handle the horse, how to post a trot, etc.

She's got good taste in clothes, too, which is coming in handy because as I lose weight, I am having to weed out my wardrobe and acquire new pieces. I'm almost out of the dress size I started my weight loss in--I'd say another 10 or 15 lbs. and I'll be down to the next dress size. As I modify my wardrobe accordingly, I consult with my daughter on various outfit combinations. She's been enthusiastic and helpful. I think she's been surprised at times that I may have some fashion sense. (I can just hear her snickering as she reads this.)

When I lost 50 lbs. six years ago, I became interested in clothes again, in styling my hair differently, in wearing jewelry. Now I realize I'm 52--but ladies, I ain't dead yet and neither are you! I get so frustrated by the rather matronly clothes out in the stores for those of us who are "plus-sized." I certainly don't intend to wear a leather mini-skirt and thigh-high boots (I can hear my daughter snickering once again), but would it be possible to have a little style?!

Yesterday when I went grocery shopping at Walmart, I browsed through the Misses clothing section. There was a slate blue sweater for just $22 that would go with two pairs of dress pants I own. I decided when I drop down into the next dress size, I'll treat myself to that sweater. I also have a deal on with a dear friend at work--she's in her mid-40s and is just a stunningly beautiful woman. She has stayed fit; one of her favorite things to do is hit the resale shops in the wealthier parts of Salt Lake City and buy gently used designer clothes at less than Walmart prices. Our deal: when I reach my weight goal, we're gonna fight over the skirts at Deseret Industries.

About a month ago I bought a used dress at Savers. It's one of those gauzy maxi dresses and looks rather "artsy." It's in the next size down for me and I only paid $4 for it. The day I can slip that dress on, I'll know I've reached a very important milestone for health and fitness.

I'm almost over my bronchitis--when I am ready in a few days, I'll break out that yoga DVD and start the yoga challenge my mother issued me. No way am I gonna let a 78-year-old woman show me up--well, she already does. Guess I'll just be catching up to her!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE yoga and have been trying to put a group together to do it. Lots of interest, but so far we haven't found a space that works for us! I have loads of yoga dvd's! It helps my martial arts, my horseback riding and overall strength and flexibility! :D Great job! Can't wait for you to put that new dress on and find it's TOO loose! :)

    ReplyDelete